Saturday, May 29, 2010

This year's garden

This is a late blog post, but I thought I'd show you our innovative gardening strategies. Ok, they aren't that innovative since they're all out of the square foot gardening book, but they're new to us.

This year we're doing our square foot gardens again and we wanted to plant them on Jenn's birthday (May 8th). Nature was against that though with freezing temperatures forecasted for the week after we wanted to plant. Luckily I remembered this awesome idea to make little greenhouses for our gardens to protect them from the frost.

We simply took two 10' PVC pipes from corner to corner and strapped them together with a zip tie at the top. Then we got some big pieces of plastic and draped it over the top of our new structure and placed bricks around the edge. Luckily we haven't thrown out these bricks since we moved in. I never realized how useful a little pile of bricks are.

Our garden is doing really well right now so if you're nice you might just get to come help eat some of it.


You can see how humid it is here since the lens immediately fogged up when I stuck it under the plastic.




We were also able to plant a peach tree and an apple tree. You can differentiate the peach tree above since it doesn't have holes in it's pants.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You guys have become so domestically rural. Awesome...

The Shreeve Family said...

Awesome gardens! Way to go!